Monday, November 14, 2011

A Home

I'm thankful for my home.  Though we were poor growing up, we were never without a home, thank Goodness.  I can't imagine the difficulty of being homeless.  Yet, I know that there are countless Americans who are.  With the state of our economy and corrupt politicians, I worry that many families are increasingly closer to being homeless.

When I was a kid, I had to share a room with my two sisters.  It wasn't that big of a deal.  Back then, that's just what you did. Nowadays, people seem to think that every child has to have his own room.  Not only did we share a room, but we had bunk beds.  I know lots of kids think bunk beds are cool, but I didn't.  Being on the bottom bunk meant it was dark when you sat on your bed to write or do homework.  Bunk beds also meant constant awakenings when the person in the other bed moves, wiggles, or climbs up and down the ladder.  I know it probably sounds silly, but I remember as a girl DREAMING of having my OWN bed.  I longed for a ruffley and frilly canopy bed, complete with the Holly Hobbie bedding ensemble.


I wanted my own bed so badly that there were times when I would take boxes, filled with various and sundry things, line them up in a rectangular pattern, then plop my mattress on top of them.  Viola!  My own non-bunk-bed.  Clearly this was not a bright idea, as the boxes got mushed down from the weight.  I'd wake up in the night sliding off to the floor, as my mattress had tilted on its uneven foundation.


To have a home is such a blessing that I daily take for granted.  Not only that, but I've been blessed with a beautiful home.  I never dreamed I'd be so blessed.  Really.  It was just never really in the realm of my imagination that I would get to live somewhere so nice.  I'm thankful to God for His abundance; and I'm thankful for my husband who works so hard to provide such a comfortable home.

Here are some pictures of what the house looked like when we first moved in, in December 2006.  It doesn't look as great now, as I am not a good housekeeper at all!  But, it's still nice and I'm thankful.

Front Room

Dining Room 

Kitchen 

Family Room

Family room and Back Reading Nook

Front Bath

Bedroom #1

Bedroom #2 (We call it the Mothers' room)

 
Bedroom #3

Bedroom #3

Master Bedroom

Master Bedroom & Window Seat


Master Bath
 
Master Bath

Upstairs Media Room

Upstairs Media Room / Game Area

1 comment:

  1. Cheryl you are totally making me smile thinking of growing up sharing rooms ~ My sister and I had a line down the middle of the room to separate her side and my side ~
    Your home is beautiful! We are truly blessed!

    ReplyDelete