Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Haiti Service Project

I had a WONDERFUL time yesterday! Late last week I received an email from some women at church stating there would be a service project on Monday to help the victims of the Haiti 7.0 earthquake which had occurred on Tuesday, 12 January 2010. A few women had decided to get together to make baby blankets for the little Haitians and invited our whole Frisco, TX stake (a large group of women of our church who live within certain geographical boundaries)to participate.

Since being layed off over a year ago, I've struggled at times with feeling a PURPOSE. Not yet having children of our own, sometimes I lack the drive to make every day meaningful. This service project opportunity was exciting to me because I knew it was something, no matter how small, that I could do to help. Something that might have a real effect in someone else's life.

So, from 8:30am-6:00pm yesterday, I met with many other wonderful volunteers to make baby blankets. Our goal was to complete 50 baby quilts, but by end of day we had more than 70 either finished or nearly finished! I sat at my machine and sewed all day long, while others pieced fabric and batting, ironed, trimmed, and tied the quilts. We had a whole assembly line going! As I finally got up to leave, several of the others thanked me for my service. All I could say was, "It was a pleasure." And it was.



I hope these blankets make it to Haiti in a timely fashion. I hope some little orphaned child gets one to snuggle up close to and feel the comfort and love that we are sending. I hope I can remember this feeling of how good it is to feel needed. I hope I can reach out to find other ways to serve and regain a sense of PURPOSE!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful way to spend a day!
    But, please remember that you are always needed.

    ReplyDelete