Sunday, July 19, 2009

Red-Letter Day

Today was definitely a Red-Letter Day!

A new friend I made, Cara Weatherby, invited some gals out to her beautiful home in Burleson, TX (near Fort Worth). It was about an hour drive from my home in Frisco, and I struggled to achieve mind over mattress this morning. But, I'm so glad I won that struggle because I had a

FANTASTIC

time at Cara's! She is ever the gracious and welcoming hostess. I also got to meet her amazing daughter, Candy, a graphic artist (and uber-talented). I was surprised to find out Cara had a daughter Candy's age. When she introduced me, I thought they looked more like sisters! Both Cara and Candy were so warm and genuine; I couldn't help but feel immediately welcome and at home. That's that Southern Hospitality for ya.

I had met Cara a few months ago prior to the Paper Cowgirl Altered Arts Convention (PC) I attended last month in Waxahachie, TX. (Which I still have A LOT to blog about, but haven't gotten caught up yet!) A few of us had decided we wanted to meet other gals prior to the PC event we would all be attending. A few of us managed to meetup in one of my favorite areas, Downtown Historic McKinney square, for lunch at The Pantry and a quick stop into Smitten.


Donna Garcia, Alisa Noble, Marie Jenkins, Cheryl Bass, Nina Little, Cara Weatherby


Maybe it was because Nina, Donna, Alisa and I can be somewhat overwhelming as a group together, but Cara seemed fairly quite and reserved that day. It was so fun to be able to visit with her and her family in her home today and get to know her so much better! She is very lively and fun and has a great sense of humor. I SO enjoyed my time.

She invited us all out to an Altered Altoid Tin workshop. She had all the supplies and provided us with a lovely lunch. We spent the entire morning and early afternoon creating these precious little altered tins with a Mermaid theme. I had wanted to create an Altoid Altered Tin for quite some time, but my "to do" list just keeps growing, and I don't always get around to all the things I want to do! So, I was so excited for the invitation, as I knew it was something I was going to love doing. And I did. I also got to see another gal I had met briefly at PC, Gail, and met another tremendously nice lady, Marie. I just love the feeling of commaraderie because of our shared passion for creativity. The tins everyone created were all so unique, but beautiful. Cara is going to send the pictures she took of everyone's tins and I will update here. But for now, I'm just posting a few pics of the one I made. It was a great day!


My Altered Altoid Mermaid Tin




Closeup of the Left Side




Closeup of the Right Side




Just for Fun--In front of a Sommerset Magazine! Imagining my work on the COVER! :)

6 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a funfilled crafty time. I would love to hear about the Paper Cowgirl retreat.
    ~Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know you gurls had a grand time! I so hated NOT to make it, but knew that I would not be able to make the drive as goofy headed as I was. Much, much better today. I do hope she will have another. LOVE what you made. Gorgeous as usual.

    Hollar some time.
    hugs
    -c
    yapping cat

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Gorgeous! I love it!!!

    I completely forgot to put this on my calendar so I missed it but I'm so happy you were able to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous! I was hoping I'd be back in town for this, but alas... I'm glad y'all had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness this is the most beautiful altered tin! I simply adore it! Great job!

    Thanks so much for sharing.
    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete